Frequently Asked Questions
- Q. Where does VOSS come from in Norway?
VOSS Water from Norway comes from the VOSS source in Iveland, Southern Norway.
Iveland is a village and municipality in Aust-Agder county, part of the traditional region of Sorlandet.
- Q. What makes VOSS so pure?
VOSS has a very clean yet distinct taste, with low mineral content.
VOSS is recognized as one of the world’s purest bottled waters with only 34 parts per million of Total Dissolved Solids. This is a significantly lower TDS count than most other major water brands, giving VOSS its pure, clean taste.
- Q. Is your PET bottle BPA-approved?
Yes, it is. BPA stands for Bisphenol-A, an organic compound that is often part of the manufacture of plastics and resin. BPA has been controversial as it exerts hormone-like properties which are considered toxic to humans.
VOSS is proud to manufacture PET (plastic) VOSS bottles that are BPA-free.
- Q. Why does VOSS make plastic bottles?
The main reason we make and manufacture plastic (PET) bottles, is for the simple reason that we want people everywhere to enjoy the pure taste of VOSS in as many occasions as possible.
Glass is often prohibited in areas like resort swimming pools and outdoor bars. We manufacture plastic (PET) bottles so that we can ensure our fans around the world can enjoy VOSS anytime, anywhere.
- Q. Are VOSS bottles recyclable?
Yes. All our bottles, including our iconic glass and plastic (PET) bottles, are recyclable. Each bottle carries the international ‘recycle’ symbol above the barcode.
- Q. Is VOSS an environmentally friendly company?
Yes. At VOSS, we have aligned our company operations with the same values inherent in our product: pure water from pure resources. Aside from promoting recyclability of our glass and plastic (PET) bottles, we also pursue carbon neutrality. VOSS is committed to reducing our carbon footprint from the moment we source our water to the moment you recycle the bottle. We have adopted a holistic, sustainable approach to bringing our pure water products to market, while striving to protect the resources from which our product flows.
- Q. What measures are being taken by VOSS to help the environment?
In our continued pursuit of carbon neutrality, we have teamed up with 3Degrees, our partner in sustainability. 3Degrees’ mission is to mitigate the impact of climate change by accelerating the development of a low-carbon, renewable energy economy.
Since 2007, 3Degrees has helped VOSS account for their greenhouse gas footprint and procure high-quality carbon offsets. Our environmental responsibilities often feed into special projects:
- The Denton Landfill Gas Project is a remediation project in Texas, USA: it results in an estimated annual emission reduction of 52,000 metric tons of carbon dioxide-equivalent per year, for the next 10 years.
- The Corinth Coal Mine Methane Project in rural Illinois: this project collects and destroys methane with an estimated annual reduction of 180,000 metric tons CO2e/year.
- The Muling Wind Farm Project in rural China, reducing annual Greenhouse Gas emissions approximately 133,068 metric tons CO2e/year. Verified according to the CDM ACM0002 methodology.
- The Putian Shicheng Wind Farm Project in Fujian Province, China: Annual Greenhouse Gas Emissions Reduction: 104,794 mtCO2e. Verification: VERs will be verified using CDM ACM0002 methodology.
- Australian Yarra Yarra Biodiversity Project in Mid-West Region of Western Australia: Annual GHG Emissions Reduction: 1.257M tonnes of CO2e sequestered carbon – Verification: Gold Standard LUF; the first Australian project to be certified by The Gold Standard- internationally recognized premium quality carbon credits. Also 3rd party validated by the Rainforest Alliance.
- Rather than settling for standard practice which allows gas to slowly release into the atmosphere, McKinney Landfill, located in Collin County, Texas, operates on a practice that reduces pollution, protects groundwater and turns a profit. Today, garbage at the landfill is slowly breaking down under a cover. A series of wells are drilled into the cover to release the gas in a piping system. The gas is then funneled to a generator and burned to make electricity. For every metric ton of carbon not released McKinney can sell one Carbon Offset. Annual GHG Emissions Reduction: 65,000 tons of CO2 each year – Verification: The Climate Action Reserve’s Landfill Project Protocol
To learn more about our holistic approach and our partner in sustainability, 3Degrees, please see the ‘Environmental Sustainability’ section of our website.
- Q. What are the different types of bottled water?
- Spring water is derived from an underground formation from which water flows naturally to the surface of the earth.
- Purified water is water that has been produced by distillation, deionization, reverse osmosis, or other suitable processes.
- Mineral water is water naturally containing no less than 250 parts per million total dissolved solids (TDS) and which keeps this level at a relative
- constant. Natural sparkling water is water that, after treatment, and possible exposure to carbon dioxide, contains the same amount of carbon dioxide that it had as it emerged from the source.
- Well water is water from a hole, boarded, drilled, or otherwise constructed in the ground, which taps the water aquifer.
- Q. What size bottles does VOSS offer?
VOSS Still and Sparkling Waters are available in the signature glass bottles in 375ml and 800ml sizes. They can also be found in a specially designed, high grade PET bottle in 330ml, 500ml, and 850ml sizes.
In 2016/2017, VOSS launched Flavored Sparkling Waters in Lemon Cucumber, and Tangerine Lemongrass and Lime Mint. In 2019, VOSS also launched Strawberry Ginger and Raspberry Rose Sparking Waters. The Flavored Sparkling Waters are currently available in select markets.
- Q. Why should I drink VOSS?
Drinking plenty of pure water has significant health benefits. Staying hydrated will help maintain your energy level, help your body fight colds and infections, increase your mental and physical performance, improve concentration and reaction time, allow for proper digestion, and keep your skin looking healthy and youthful.